Saturday, March 30, 2013

Negative Space

Happy Saturday everybody!  I don't know about you, but I love the look of negative space layouts (where there is more "empty" areas of the page than not)...they're a challenge for me because I instinctively want to cover every bit of the paper with goodies but I think the final effect of a negative space page can be pretty striking!  Plus, if you have limited time to scrap, you can usually pull one of these off in about an hour.

Here is my latest negative space creation and a little breakdown of how I put it together.



The first thing I always do is dig through my scrappy supplies and pull out any embellies and papers I think might work with the photos I am scrapping.  It usually ends up looking something like this...



I love white tags because you can design them any way you want to fit them to the style of your page. I covered this one with purple chevron paper and added an eyelet.  Plus you can buy a big thing of them for cheap...it can get pricey to buy pre-made tags and since they're pre-designed, I find them to be limiting.  




You can pick the tools up from any craft store or probably even Wal-Mart or Target.  I like the Making Memories tool kit.  because it comes with more than just the setting tools.  I love eyelets - not just for tags but also to add some depth and texture to your page.  Stay tuned for a tutorial post on how to use them...hoping to get one up this weekend.  

Then I misted my paper...

(I bought some fancy scrapbook misters....I had a coupon...yes, I did just show you how to get a similar effect without the added cost of pre-made misters...but I had a coupon!  Don't judge me. hehehe) 




Staying true to my make-do-with-what-you-have-self, though, I gave this Recollections journaling card a double use by cutting the bullseye portion out and using the two pieces separately.  This is a great way to make your supplies last or to find an element you need when nothing else in your stash seems to work.  Dig through your paper and see what you can find and cut!  



One thing about negative space layouts, for me anyway, is that I DO feel like I have to make up for leaving all that blank space on the page by loading up the embellished area.  So for this I used stamps, rub-ons, doodles, grungeboard, stickers, and an adorable "love" Little Yellow Bicycle stick pin embellie (have you seen these things yet? I'm in love!).  I loaded everything up and used the arrow stamps to direct the eye to the main focus of the page.  




Then, I added some "file" information to the upper left hand corner to document when the photos were taken, how old the munchkin was at the time, and where the hat came from.


Voila.  Layout in about an hour!  Thanks for looking!



1 comment:

  1. another gorgeous page..you rocked the negative space and love those arrows ;)

    ReplyDelete